FAQ: Reporting Problems and Outages

How do I report an outage?

CFE provides several ways to report outages. One of these is the CFE Contigo app or you can report it via their website. You can also call 071 from your cell phone or you can go into one of the CFE service centers.

What if I have a problem with my service?

If you have a problem affecting only your line or you see something like a downed line, use the same methods outlined above for outages to report it.

What if I have a problem with my billing?

There is information here about how to read your bill. Problems with billing should be discussed with an agent at one of the service centers or by calling 078 from your cell phone.

How long will it take to fix?

CFE provides this handy chart of their commitment to time frames for problem resolution. As always though, this is Mexico. Keep expectations low and patience high.